Sunday, August 2, 2009

CVS - Moneymaking Softsoap Bodywash, Free Blink Tears, Free School Supplies

Once again, I invite you to check out an Examiner article I wrote - it is a discussion of how to use printable coupons to save money.

Well, my store was out of a lot of the school supplies, but on the bright side, the limit on the Softsoap is at least three so I was able to get two!

Transaction one:

2 Stayfree pads - $10
1 bottle Softsoap Serum - $4.99
1 double Sunday paper - $2.50
1 caramel - 33 cents

Used $2/Softsoap, BOGO Stayfree, $10.87 ECBs. Paid 59 cents OOP (all tax, and somehow my pre-tax total was negative 5 cents even though I handed everything over in my usual order). Got back $9 and a coupon for a free small mouthwash.

Transaction two:

1 pack of pens - 99 cents
2 one-subject notebooks - $1.98
1 scissors - $2.99
1 Softsoap Serum - $4.99
1 mouthwash - $2.59

Used free mouthwash ($2.59), $2/Softsoap, $8.91 ECBs. Got back $9.96.

Transaction three:

1 Blink tears - $7.99.
Used $3/Blink tears (pulled out of paper after I bought it), $5 ECBs (adjusted down to $4.99). Paid 56 cents tax, got back $7.99.

Then I went to the pharmacy and talked to the really nice pharmacist and scored the new coupon booklet that includes TWO $4/$20s good all month! (Plus a bunch of specific coupons.) And I got a raincheck for the glue sticks that are free after ECBs but decided I have enough of everything else to need other rainchecks. (I have a raincheck for the photo book too, and that may come in handy with this 4/20!)

So it was a nice moneymaking day, and I am considering going to another store to max out the Softsoap (my store had TONS).

UPDATE: I went to another CVS and got another Softsoap. I used $2.97 in ECBs and a $2 coupon, paid 30 cents OOP, got back $4 AND my receipt still doesn't say offer limit reached, which leads me to believe the limit is 5. I am going to print out one more coupon (and possibly use a different computer to get another as well) and go back tomorrow, I think. The list below is updated with the new amounts. :)

SECOND UPDATE: I went back to the CVS I went to in the morning, bought two more bottles, one at a time. Although both CVS stores are in the same county and the sales tax is the same percentage, I paid a few cents more in tax at this store and I have NO idea why. I was caught a penny short, but my awesome cashier spotted me and I ran to the car and gave it to him. So I maxed out this great deal - hooray!

Photobucket

Total OOP: $28.26 ($13.44 tax)
Total merchandise: 16 double Sunday papers, 3 single Sunday papers, 4 boxes Throat Coolers, 1 Garnier 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, 8 packs of Stayfree maxi pads, 1 box of sheer Band Aids, 4 boxes of Soy Joy bars, 20 Soy Joy bars, 1 pack of Nutra Trim gum, 6 bottles Dawn, 4 travel packs of tissues, 7 greeting cards, 2 boxes 5 ct. allergy meds, 2 3-packs of CVS brand paper towels, 1 box of CVS cold medicine (Dayquil-ish), 1 Gillette shampoo, 1 Gillette conditioner, 1 Gillette shampoo+conditioner, 1 box of 30 Breathe Right strips, 4 Gillette Gamer razors, 2 L'Oreal towelettes, 1 KY product, 1 CVS toilet paper, 1 10-count Excedrin, 1 chewable aspirin, 2 Johnson's Buddies soaps, 1 20 oz. Dr. Pepper, 2 small CVS mouthwashes, 10 25-count CVS cotton rounds, 4 small boxes of Wheat Thins, 1 Boost Kid Essentials, 2 Cascade Action Pacs, 2 bags of Halls cough drops, 2 Energy Shots 2 pack, 5 Colgate toothpastes, 1 small box Breathe Right strips, 5 bottles Suave body wash, 2 bottles Herbal Essences shampoo, 2 bottles Herbal Essences conditioner, 1 Snickers heart candy, 2 bottles Mylanta Mint, 1 Fruitopia shampoo, 2 Venus Spa Breeze razors, 1 Renuzit Tri-Scent starter kit, 1 box 10-count Carnation Instant Breakfast, 2 single-serving Pringles, 1 bottle Vaseline lotion, 1 tube Crest toothpaste, 1 bottle Irish Spring body wash, 5 Dry Idea roll on deodorants, 1 Colgate Max White, 3 Colgate Max Fresh, 1 Crest Pro-Health Enamel, 2 Hylands teething tablets, 2 Skintimate shave gels, 1 pack Juicyfruit gum, 1 Softsoap coconut scrub, 2 Colgate sensitive toothpastes, 1 Zantrex 2-pack, 1 Adidas deodorant, 3 Contour monitors, 1 Bayer quick-release aspirin, 1 tub CVS-brand baby wipes, 2 bags Purina dog treats, 1 box of Playtex tampons, 2 boxes of Hello Kitty bandaids, 1 Clearasil face wash, 3 Speed Stick pro deodorants, 1 diet Dr. Pepper, 2 Gillette Fusion razors, 3 Powerades, 2 Thermacare wraps, 2 packs CVS panty liners, 3 boxes Post Trail Mix Crunch cereal, 2 rolls CVS tape, 2 bottles school glue, 6 10-packs of pens, 2 rulers, 3 scissors, 4 1-subject notebooks, 3 Dove chocolate bars, 1 Bayer Breeze2 monitor, 5 photobooks, 1 photo DVD, 2 small packs of almonds, 2 packs of filler paper, 2 vinyl binders, 2 small memo pads, 3 bubble mailers, 2 composition books, 2 packs of Pilot pens, 2 caramels, 2 packs of sticky notes, 3 boxes Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal, 1 Blink Tears, 5 bottles Softsoap Serum.

Current ECB status: $38.95

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Some ECBs are ringing up as "CVS MFR coupons" now for some reason and you are charged tax on those. Some people say it's due to when a cashier hits the total button but that can't be it because I have several receipts where one ECB is a "CVS MFR coupon" and another is just a plain old CVS coupon. I think it might have to do with what deal the ECB is from. Deals involving outside manufacturers will be CVS MFR coupons and deals where it's a CVS brand item will be CVS coupons. It's so confusing now.

Marla said...

I'd read about this too - just checked my receipts and sure enough that's where the discrepancy is. Thanks for making things MORE confusing CVS! (And yes, on one receipt I used two ECBs - one went through as a CVS coupon, one as a man. coupon - maybe it's about when I got them and they're phasing out CVS coupons that cover tax? We'll see!)

Marla said...

On the plus side, from my very first transaction it looks like if an ECB is calculated a manufacturer coupon, it can be used if it's a bit over the pre-tax amount and that extra will apply to tax rather than beeping/needing to be adjusted, the way "regular" coupons work. At least...maybe?

Unknown said...

Hmm, that's interesting if CVS MFR coupons can pay some of the tax. I've noticed that I can't have a negative subtotal anymore. The stores around me have been having to adjust down my last manufacturer's coupon (regular MQs) so that I zero out the subtotal but I still have to pay tax. I'm getting a headache just trying to figure it all out.