Saturday, May 3, 2008

A tip for you - getting your Sunday paper for free!

This just came up in a comment someone left me, so I thought I'd share!

Since starting all this saving fun, I simply hate to pay for anything out of pocket at CVS. Yet every week I buy the double paper for $2.50 - and there aren't coupons/deals for that! (Well, at the end of last year the early edition of the Sunday paper was $1, so I could get two papers for $2, but that's unusual.) So I try to roll my paper into my ECB deals to get it for free or at least for as little as possible.

It's simple - at the most basic level, I just pay for the paper with ECBs. Nothing out of pocket - but I "lose" the $2.50 in ECBs at the same time. If I can, I'll pay for the paper with coupons instead. How? Here's an example using current deals:

Buy 1 Tums Quik Pak, use a $2.25 coupon (As a side note, this coupon is no longer available to print, but I emailed the company and requested a coupon be mailed to me - if I get it, you'll see me use it soon!)
Buy 1 Colgate toothbrush, use a $1 coupon
Buy the $2.50 paper

In this scenario, you'll get the paper for free AND come out ahead by 75 cents!

This isn't possible every week, but I usually manage to get the paper for at least a discount using this method. And considering that the paper is the doorway to more savings, this is always a great deal!

And of course, if the Sunday paper in your area costs less than mine, you can work this to an even bigger advantage!

[Shameless request - if this tip helped you, 1) please comment and 2) please consider signing up for Revolution Money Exchange through me. The link is in an earlier entry, and you will get $25 for signing up while I will get $10 for the referral. It's totally legit! The offer ends May 15 but if you sign up, then you get your own unique referral code that you can use for the rest of the promotion.]

No comments: