Sunday, July 5, 2009

CVS - Free cereal, panty liners, and tape!

Well, I didn't get everything I wanted, but I got the most important parts of my scenario.

First store:

I scanned my card and got the $1 ECB from the Powerade deal plus $1.50 in quarterly ECBs. I have no idea why it was that high (I thought I'd get 50 cents because sometimes my husband uses this card to buy things) but I gladly took it.

2 boxes Trail Mix Crunch cereal (all they had) - $6.67
1 CVS panty liners - 89 cents
2 CVS tape (again, all they had) - $2.98

There were spots for the tape all over the display, and ALL were empty except the very highest spot (hard to reach) where the two I bought were hanging. The pencil spots were all also empty and I didn't even see spots for the sharpeners.

Used 2x$2/cereal coupons, $6.50 in ECBs (a $5 that was about to expire and the new $1.50). Paid 45 cents, got back $2.98 for the tape and 99 cents for the panty liners, yay surprise profit.

But when I got to the car and checked my receipt, it said my total OOP should've been 20 cents. I know the computer showed 45 cents when I paid, and I trust my cashier at my favorite store, so I'm chalking this up to cosmic payment for all the stuff I get for free. It's funny how when you get really into the CVS deals, a quarter seems like SO MUCH MONEY, you know?

Anyway, I wanted to finish up the cereal deal, so I went to store #2 and got:

1 box Post Trail Mix Crunch cereal - $3.34 (ah, you'll laugh at me, but I just realized that if I'd bought all three at once I'd have paid $10, but since I bought them separately I paid $10.01!)

Used the last $2 coupon, which the cashier took about an hour to read read read read read, turn over, turn back, look for a manager with his eyes, and finally scan. I stood there and stared back and said nothing. Used the $1 ECB I'd gotten for the Powerade. Paid 39 cents OOP (5 cents tax). Got back $5.

So after all was said and done, I made about a $3 profit (including the quarterly bucks). I don't actually need the pencils or more tape, and with the ECB amounts I have I don't think I could get any of that for totally free, but I *may* walk to the CVS that's closest tomorrow to see what I can do. Maybe.

I had really wanted to break up at least one of my two $8 ECBs, but I will just have to use them for the free photo books next week instead!

Photobucket

Total OOP: $23.27 ($8.71 tax)
Total merchandise: 13 double Sunday papers, 3 single Sunday papers, 4 boxes Throat Coolers, 1 Garnier 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, 6 packs of Stayfree maxi pads, 1 box of sheer Band Aids, 4 boxes of Soy Joy bars, 20 Soy Joy bars, 1 pack of Nutra Trim gum, 6 bottles Dawn, 4 travel packs of tissues, 7 greeting cards, 2 boxes 5 ct. allergy meds, 2 3-packs of CVS brand paper towels, 1 box of CVS cold medicine (Dayquil-ish), 1 Gillette shampoo, 1 Gillette conditioner, 1 Gillette shampoo+conditioner, 1 box of 30 Breathe Right strips, 4 Gillette Gamer razors, 2 L'Oreal towelettes, 1 KY product, 1 CVS toilet paper, 1 10-count Excedrin, 1 chewable aspirin, 2 Johnson's Buddies soaps, 1 20 oz. Dr. Pepper, 1 small CVS mouthwash, 10 25-count CVS cotton rounds, 4 small boxes of Wheat Thins, 1 Boost Kid Essentials, 2 Cascade Action Pacs, 2 bags of Halls cough drops, 2 Energy Shots 2 pack, 5 Colgate toothpastes, 1 small box Breathe Right strips, 5 bottles Suave body wash, 2 bottles Herbal Essences shampoo, 2 bottles Herbal Essences conditioner, 1 Snickers heart candy, 2 bottles Mylanta Mint, 1 Fruitopia shampoo, 2 Venus Spa Breeze razors, 1 Renuzit Tri-Scent starter kit, 1 box 10-count Carnation Instant Breakfast, 2 single-serving Pringles, 1 bottle Vaseline lotion, 1 tube Crest toothpaste, 1 bottle Irish Spring body wash, 5 Dry Idea roll on deodorants, 1 Colgate Max White, 2 Colgate Max Fresh, 1 Crest Pro-Health Enamel, 2 Hylands teething tablets, 2 Skintimate shave gels, 1 pack Juicyfruit gum, 1 Softsoap coconut scrub, 2 Colgate sensitive toothpastes, 1 Zantrex 2-pack, 1 Adidas deodorant, 3 Contour monitors, 1 Bayer quick-release aspirin, 1 tub CVS-brand baby wipes, 2 bags Purina dog treats, 1 box of Playtex tampons, 2 boxes of Hello Kitty bandaids, 1 Clearasil face wash, 2 Speed Stick pro deodorants, 1 diet Dr. Pepper, 1 Gillette Fusion razor, 3 Powerades, 2 Thermacare wraps, 1 pack CVS panty liners, 3 boxes Post Trail Mix Crunch cereal, 2 rolls CVS tape.

Current ECB status: $31.46

3 comments:

Unknown said...

CVS changed their registers in the last week or so, and now what the cashier sees and what we see on the screen are totally different. I have no idea why because it just makes no sense at all. But it looks like what we see is including tax on our original amount.

I've also noticed that my ECBs aren't deducting tax properly or something. I'm really very confused because I can't make any sense out of my transactions that involve both taxable and non-taxable items.

Marla said...

Yeah, the second CVS had weirdness too - first the guy said "It's 41 cents." I handed over $1.01 (what I had - didn't want a ton of pennies back...) and then he smiled and said "Nope, it's 39 cents."

And my receipt from the first store (the one with the 25 cent discrepancy) has three lines of tax when there should be two (Georgia has a different tax percentage for food vs. other stuff). CONFUSING and I'm said I seemed to have to pay for their mistake. At least it was just a quarter!

Marla said...

(er, I'm sad not I'm said...)