Monday, January 25, 2010

My Facebook account was disabled

UPDATE: On Wednesday I received an email from Facebook saying my account had been compromised. To be perfectly honest, I don't see any evidence of that and I am very careful about links I click and places in which I input my password. But I had just installed an app on my iPod that used Facebook to give me birthday updates - I deleted that immediately, as that could in theory have been the culprit. But in any case my account WAS completely reinstated. It took 4 days and 2 emails (though I don't think the second email made a difference). I'm leaving this post up in case anyone finds it via Google - don't lose hope! Email politely and you may get a reply and get your account back - unless you've misbehaved.... ;)
----------

On Saturday night, I left the computer for a moment, turned back, and found myself locked out of Facebook. No warning, no explanation, just a notice that my account had been disabled and an email address to write to. I did write and plead my case, but I have a feeling that they'll take a while to even get to me and reply, and I am not feeling so good about my chances to have my account reinstated.

It's disappointing - I've spent years on Facebook. I don't have a million friends on there; I've kept my account mostly to people I know or used to know and wanted to reconnect with. Relatives looked there for pictures of my child. Friends made plans with me using the messaging system. I rarely used chat, I joined groups - mostly for freebies! - but didn't post much. I never posted anything offensive.

Yet here I am, locked out. And all traces of me have vanished from the site. They couldn't even put a "This account has been disabled" notice on my account. It's like being tossed out of a party without being able to say goodbye - and then being worried your friends think you're mad at them and stormed out in a huff. And your cell phone and computer are still inside that party with no way to be retrieved.

Mostly, this post is to hopefully connect with others whose Facebook account was disabled. When it happened to me, I emailed - and then went to Google for other stories. I've found many many many. So if this happened to you - particularly if your story has a happy ending - please comment. As always, I won't approve spam comments.

One thing I'll miss is Money Saving Mom's Facebook page - she often posted deals and links there that she didn't post elsewhere. And again, the freebie pages - I just got my coupons for free Stacy's Pita Chips and free International Coffee Creamer, both scored on Facebook.

I'll keep you posted on what happens. I really would at minimum like a chance to say goodbye. Funny enough, I already was thinking what a time waster Facebook was becoming and trying to cut back my usage. If I can't go back at all, it may not be the worst thing that ever happened. But I do hope my friends understand why I've vanished.

No comments: