Friday, June 5, 2009

Publix - Big savings, but it took a while...

Lately at Publix I've had several cashiers scrutinize each and every coupon I hand over. Like, read the fine print, look at the back, really really study each one. And I often hand over several coupons...maybe 15 or more...so this really adds time AND it makes me blush. Yes indeed, I turn red because I feel like I'm being accused of something. Oh and I hand over my coupons *first* and I try to put the freebies on top so that the cashier can write down the amounts easily. But today I accidentally put two freebie coupons (free Johnsons Buddies and BOGO Goldfish, both from the Baby Club) in the middle of the pile and the cashier looked SO put out when she had to find the prices (which are pretty easy to look up). She also pulled out one of my coupons and said "I think you only bought one of these" and I had to say "Um, no, I bought two" and even recited the flavors. The bag guy was on my side too.

ANYWAY it was worth it because I spent $92.62 OOP and saved $42.78. Highlights included the BOGO Goldfish (I was torn - wait for a sale and hold onto the coupon or just use it today? But we were there...so....), the 70 cent Whole Fruit sorbet, the 75 cent Bertolli sauce, the 99 cent Newman's Own sauce, the deal where I paid $1.75 and got a box of Ritz crackers and a box of whole grain Wheat Thins, the $1 Fresh Express salad...

Still, after today I'm pretty convinced that I'm better off shopping at Your Dekalb Farmer's Market, Trader Joe's, and Aldi for most of my stuff and only hitting Publix when I need specifics. I save more at the other stores, I think. I need to keep better track.

If you've read this far, would you do me a favor and click over on the right on the Atlanta Budget Grocery Examiner link? It would mean a lot and I think you'll learn a bit from my articles. :)

(If you're wondering, I skipped CVS this week and bought the double paper at Kroger. Next week I plan on getting the money making diabetes monitor and not much else, but there are some great deals coming up at the end of June that I'm looking forward to.)

1 comment:

Debra said...

I know, sometimes they try to make you think like we've done something wrong by bringing in coupons. It's sad.